(This review contains affiliate links which means we may earn a small commission from any purchases — at no extra cost to you. However, it’s a real and honest review based on my personal experience with the Custom Keto Diet)
A few weeks ago I dove headfirst into a new popular diet you may have heard of recently: The Custom Keto Diet by famed nutritionist, Rachel Roberts.
I’ve flirted with the idea of trying keto out for a while now, especially since it seems to be all the rage in certain fitness circles, but the idea of a complete lifestyle change that required turning my entire meal plan upside down was too much of a commitment to ever actually go for it.
That’s why the Custom Keto Diet seemed to be exactly what I’d been looking for: an easy, complete, straightforward singular and personalized guide to truly go keto.
After finally completing the 8-week plan, I’m now here to share my experiences in this Custom Keto Diet review, including:
- How it felt to go keto
- What going keto actually means
- Whether the Custom Keto Diet is worth the hype.
Was the Custom Keto Diet worth my time and money?
Let’s find out.
Why I decided to check out the Custom Keto Diet
Full disclosure: I’ve never been a skinny guy, but I’ve also never been obese. I’ve always teetered around the overweight range, sometimes being a few pounds over my ideal body weight (although lately, unfortunately, I’ve been a lot closer to technically obese than just overweight).
When it comes to diet fads, teas, supplements, and exercise routines, I’ve done it all.
I know more about nutritional and fitness science than anyone would ever guess, because I don’t really look like a fit person. But I go to the gym several times per week, and I always try my best to count my calories. And while I can keep myself in-check 70% of the time, it’s that other 30% that keeps me away from that elusive goal of an ideal body weight.
And there’s nothing more frustrating than always being close to your goal but never actually reaching it. You always end up thinking you’re just one or two good months away, but all it takes is one heavy week at work and some stress binge eating, and you’re back to where you were three months ago.
That said, the Custom Keto Diet isn’t the first time I’d encountered the keto diet. This diet (or “lifestyle change”) has gained popularity over the last decade or so, but I’ve never actually given it a shot.
Because it seems like such a giant hassle. The keto diet is essentially a low-carb, high-fat diet that forces your body into a state of “ketosis”, which is when it becomes most efficient at burning stored fat.
While all that sounds great, I’m not a very patient guy. I don’t have the patience or time to teach myself how to apply a keto diet to my everyday life. Rice and bread are huge staples of my daily meals, so even considering a low-carb diet feels impossible.
That’s why the Custom Keto Diet got my interest. At just $37, I could get a customized, personalized meal plan developed by a famed dietician and nutritionist. That means I get all the benefit of a serious keto plan without doing any of the actual work in planning it out myself.
All that stood between me and my ideal body weight was whether or not I could follow step-by-step daily instructions.
So how was my experience?
NEW QUIZ: What’s your spiritual archetype? At the heart of everything you do, think, and feel is your spiritual archetype. Take this quiz to find out yours.
Pretty great. Last week was officially my final week of the 8-week plan, and I can say that I’m happily just a few pounds off from my target goal, after having lost nearly 20 pounds in the last two months.
But before I get into all that, let’s talk about everything else you probably want to know.
What Is keto, exactly?
Before you jump into anything you find online, it’s important that you know everything there is to know about it.
With the keto diet, there’s definitely a lot you need to know.
Firstly, keto is short for ketogenic, which revolves around forcing your body into the ketosis or fat-burning metabolic state. Ketosis becomes activated when you have a high concentration of “ketones” in the blood, which occurs when your body has limited access to glucose, which is the preferred fuel source for the average cell in the body. With limited glucose, the body naturally switches to using stored fat as its preferred fuel.
So how do you switch into the ketogenic state?
Basically, you need to consume 50 grams of carbs or less per day. (Note: Most people’s main sources of carbs include sweets, soft drink, fruits, and grains like rice, bread, and potatoes).
With low carb levels, your natural levels of insulin go down, leading to fatty acids being released from your fat deposits. These fatty acids travel to the liver and become converted into ketones, which provide energy more efficiently than glucose.
Does Keto actually work?
Yes, keto has been proven to be an extremely efficient lifestyle for losing weight. There are several types of the ketogenic diet, such as:
- SKD (Standard Ketogenic Diet): The typical keto diet, which is 10% carbs, 70% fat, and 20% protein.
- CKD (Cyclical Ketogenic Diet): The keto diet but with periods of higher carb intake, such as 5 days of ketogenic diet and 2 days with normal carb levels.
- TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet): For individuals who workout and thus can afford to eat more carbs.
- High Protein: A slightly adjusted ratio, with 35% protein, 5% carbs, and 60% fat.
Studies have found that the keto diet actually requires less food for the body to feel fullness, meaning you naturally end up eating less food even without counting calories.
What makes the Custom Keto Diet different?
As someone who’s been around fitness buffs, nutrition pros, and all the people trying to lose weight all my life, I’ve seen that the biggest factor in whether or not someone actually pushes through with a routine or plan is how much work they have to do to fit it into their life.
The simple act of preparing your gym clothes before you go to bed can be the difference for some people in whether they’ll work out or not the next morning.
The more effort required to get something started, the less likely people are going to actually do it. This is generally because we have limited daily levels of willpower, and if there’s even the slightest obstacle before a major push, we’re less likely to even attempt that push.
So how does the Custom Keto Diet help you to adopt and stick to a keto diet?
- Expert instruction: Firstly, the plans are personalized by famed nutritionist and dietician Rachel Roberts, who has spent her career helping people achieve their ideal body weights.
- Everything broken down: If you love following instructions and not doing any guessing, this plan will be perfect for you. The Custom Keto Diet has everything prepared: your recommended calories, water intake, activity level, and the exact weight you can expect to achieve after a set time. It covers portion size, meals, ingredients, cheat days, and so much more.
- Completely customized: We don’t all have the same levels of self-discipline and control, and we all deal with stress and hunger differently, which is why there’s no one single meal plan that works for everyone. With the Custom Keto Diet, you don’t have to force yourself into a box you might not fit in. You’re allowed to edit and customize it according to your lifestyle and goals.
- Intermittent fasting: If you want to combine the keto meal plan with intermittent fasting, no problem. Unlike other meal plans that expect you to eat X times everyday, you can factor in Intermittent Fasting with your Custom Keto Diet.
- Recipes, outside meals, grocery lists, and more: The Custom Keto Diet isn’t just a day-to-day meal plan and nothing else. It’s everything you need to truly convert to a keto lifestyle: specific recipes, the exact grocery items you need, and the “safe” meals you can eat at most popular restaurants, for all those times when you just can’t help but eat outside with friends or family. It’s misleading to just call this a diet; it’s the fullest guide I’ve ever seen to going keto.
Who is the Custom Keto Diet for?
One of the biggest (and most fundamental) problems people have with fitness is trying to find a system they can actually follow.
It’s easy to mimic someone else’s exercise routine but it’s difficult to try and come up with your own meal plan, which is really what determines your results outside of exercise.
The Custom Keto Diet is ideal for you if:
NEW QUIZ: At the heart of everything you do, think, and feel is your spiritual archetype. Find out your spiritual archetype in our fun new quiz. Take it here.
- You’re tired of jumping into diet and exercise fads and want long-lasting results
- You already eat low carb and want to learn how to make the most out of it
- You incorporate fats into your diet and want to experience its full potential
- You’re familiar with the amazing results people have had with a keto diet
- You’ve always wanted to try keto but you’re unsure how to navigate it
- You’re looking to optimize your body’s fat burning engine
- You’re looking to improve your body composition and gain more muscle
- You want to see results without ever stepping foot into a gym
As amazing keto is in changing people’s relationship with food and exercise, there are people who might not be ideal for trying out a keto diet. These include:
- People who have underlying medical conditions such as diabetes and high cholesterol
- Pregnant and lactating women
- People who have food sensitivities and have been prescribed a high-carb diet.
Make sure to get in touch with your primary physician before jumping on the Custom Keto Diet to see if keto is compatible for you.
Before I dove into this plan and committed to my custom diet, I had a few reservations that kept me from actually trusting the process.
Here are some of the most common misconceptions about keto and the usual reasons why people, like me, are often apprehensive to try it in the first place:
- “Not being in a calorie deficit”: When people read “mostly fat”, they assume keto is all about replacing carbs with fatty foods. This isn’t true at all. Being on a keto diet doesn’t mean that you’ll be in a calorie surplus. Your customized plan is designed specifically for your goals and your daily caloric needs.
- “Severe calorie restriction”: On the other side of things, there are people who think the keto diet is going to be restrictive. Again, because this is a customized diet plan and not a one-size-fits-all meal plan, you’re getting exactly what your body needs to achieve the goals you want.
- “You can’t build muscle on a keto diet”: This isn’t true at all. I still shed off an impressive amount of weight given that I wasn’t hitting the gym. Although I’m not much of an active person myself, I’ve seen reviews from gym goers who have tried this and still managed to maintain results. It’s not impossible to achieve the body you want with this custom meal plan.
Everything you get with the Custom Keto Diet
This diet is pretty straightforward. When you sign up, one of the accredited nutritionists involved in the Custom Keto Diet will develop a customized 8-week plan for you.
This plan isn’t just a random assortment of foods you should eat. It’s built from the ground up by nutritionists who take your macro needs into consideration, as well as your dietary limitations and preferences.
One of the best things about this diet is that it’s pretty flexible. If you don’t quite enjoy the recipe and foods recommended to you, there are substitute ingredients and customization options that give you the freedom to truly tailor it to what you want to eat without “falling off the wagon”.
Here’s the full list of things you get when you sign up for the Custom Keto Diet:
1) A grocery list that you can download. This is pretty detailed so you don’t have to wander around the grocery store wondering what ingredient to get next.
2) Step-by-step recipes that are easy to follow. This is really great in case you’re not such a great cook like me. The instructions are spelled out for you and all you have to do is follow them to make an awesome meal. It’s practically foolproof!
3) A meal plan with suggestions on how to add variety to your weekly meals. Your meal plan isn’t just composed of two or three boring meals. You actually get a lot of options. The best part is the nutritionists really take what you like into consideration and make sure you’re enjoying your foods.
4) Meals based on your food preferences. Undeniably the best thing about this plan. I’ve tried other diets and I always felt like I needed to adapt to it in order to make it work. With this plan, it’s mapped out to actually match my food preferences.
5) Further instructions on how to customize your meals. I personally enjoyed this because it really gave me so much variety and I felt like I could stick to the plan longer because I didn’t feel like I was eating the same thing over and over again.
Alternatives to the Custom Keto Diet
If you’re not sure that the Custom Keto Diet is right for you, then there are some alternatives you should consider.
The main one is the 28-day Keto Challenge. It’s a 28-day plan that equips you with all the best keto-specific recipes to get through an entire month without breaking the keto diet.
Check out our 28-day Keto Challenge review here.
If you are looking for some non-keto alternatives, then diet supplements may be the way to go. The four most popular natural diet supplements on the market today include ProVen, Leptitox, Resurge and Meticore.
Is the Custom Keto Diet worth it?
To get to the million dollar question: does the Custom Keto Diet actually work?
NEW QUIZ: What’s your spiritual archetype? At the heart of everything you do, think, and feel is your spiritual archetype. Take this quiz to find out yours.
For me, this 8-week plan gave me tons more value than what I could usually do with $37. Instead of buying myself a nice steak at a fancy restaurant, I managed to learn all about not just a diet, but a different way of eating and metabolizing my nutrients that I’d always avoided, simply because it felt like too much work.
Results-wise, I’m happy to say that I lost nearly 20 pounds over the last 2 months, and I don’t see any signs of it slowing down.
I’m slimmer than I’ve been in nearly a decade, and all those pounds I gained slowly over the years have finally melted off. And there’s no reason to stop just because the 8-week plan is at an end; I can go on and on and on and on.
That’s probably the best thing I got from the Custom Keto Diet: this isn’t just 8 weeks. This is the rest of my life. Whenever I want to “seriously” lose weight, I now know how to switch into a ketogenic-friendly diet for a few weeks, and then go back to my normal meal plans when I feel good about my weight again.
At just $37, it was definitely worth it for me.
That’s less than the cost of a book or two on keto, while distilling all the actionable information you need to actually integrate this lifestyle into your routine. This course is perfect for people who love following instruction closely, but probably not for people who want more independence in their meal plans.
And guess what — as low as the price already is, they also offer a 60-day refund policy. That means if you’re unhappy with the 8-week plan and everything that comes with it for whatever reason, all you have to do is let them know and they’ll give you your money back.
There’s literally no downside to any of this, and the only question is — are you willing to do the work and follow the steps?
Like this article? Follow us on Facebook to see more like this